What was once an uncommon procedure has moved into the area of mainstream dentistry: dental implants, like those available at Wildflower Dental in Sun City AZ.
A dental implant is a metal post, usually made from titanium, that is inserted into the jaw. The post acts as a replacement tooth root, and becomes a support for an artificial tooth. Implants have revolutionized tooth replacement.
Taking care of a dental implant is a lot like taking care of natural teeth. But since they are not natural teeth, they require some specific techniques to keep them clean.
- Be sure to brush at least twice a day.
- Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and low-abrasive toothpaste. We can make a recommendation.
- Be sure to get all around the artificial tooth. Plaque builds up on it just like on natural teeth.
- Floss at least once a day. Use unwaxed or implant-specific floss. Again, we can recommend one. Nylon-coated interdental brushes are excellent for hard-to-reach places.
- A water flosser is strongly recommended.
Dental implants function like natural teeth, and properly cared for can last a lifetime, but keeping them clean is a key to their success.
At Wildflower Dental in Sun City AZ we offer single-tooth dental implants and implant-supported dentures. We have free second opinions, all-inclusive pricing, a lifetime warranty, and an in-office discount plan. Please call us to schedule an appointment today!